I sometimes struggle with what to post here. There are a million other recipes that I want to share with you all that have yet to make it to this space. I try not to give you too much of the same thing, and as I have slight obession with raw date snacks (please see exhibit A, and B) I wasn’t really planning on sharing another one for a while.
But, I couldn’t NOT share these. And especially with the holidays and gift giving just around the corner, I couldn’t let the season go by without you guys being able to try these festive bites. A little dusting of cacao powder makes them worthy of a holiday treat, but they also pack enough energy to be stowed away in the pocket of my ski jacket for a chair lift snack. They would make a nice, light option on the table of your work holiday party, something different amongst all the shortbread and chocolates. Make’em, share’em or keep them all to yourself – wishing you a happy and healthy holiday season!
Fig, Pistachio and Honey Bites
The taste of Christmas without the Santa belly, these little treats take minutes to make, so you have lots of time to spend enjoying the holiday festivites! Vegan & Gluten Free. Makes 12-15 bite size balls. Recipe very slightly adpated from BBC Good Food Magazine, December Issue.
I’m going to go all international on you here and give you the recipe in both grams and cups. The original recipe is in grams so its much more precise, but I’ve converted it to cup measurements for those of you without kitchen scales.
- 100g (1 cup) shelled pistachios
- 50g (1/3 cup) raw almonds
- 200g (1 + 1/4 cup) dried, ready to eat figs
- 100g (3/4 cup, about 12) dates
- 2 tablespoons fragant clear honey
- 1-2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Raw cacao powder for dusting
What to do
- If you have shelled the pistachios yourself, wrap the shelled nuts in a clean tea towel and rub vigorously between your hands, this will help remove as much of the skins as possible.
- Place the pistachios and almonds in the bowl of a food process and blitz until roughly ground. Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse until the mixture comes together, it should start to form a ball.
- Roll into bite size balls and dust with raw cacao powder. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. Will keep for up to 2 weeks in an airtight bix in the fridge.