Just a bowl full of goodness. Warm nutty brown rice, fresh spinach, crunchy carrots and beets, crispy tofu – all wrapped up in a glorious creamy tahini dressing. The dressing – oh. my. this. dressing. I apologize in advance if you want to put this on anything and everything you eat, I know I have. The recipe for the dressing leaves you lots left over – the other night we ate it with some sauteed broccoli and rice, and I’m sure it would be great on bok choy, cabbage or any other grain as well, or maybe just on a spoon – like I said, anything and everything. But this salad bowl is a great place to start.
Brown Rice & Tofu Salad Bowl
(Adapted from Whitewater Cooks Glory Bowl)
Makes 1 salad serving and lots of dressing. The dressing can be adjusted as you like, I’ve seen variations which use lemon juice and ginger – which would add lots of freshness. Use whatever you have one hand – that goes for the salad too, quinoa or any other grain would work great!
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup brown rice
- 125g tofu, chopped into bite size cubes
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small carrot, grated (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 small beet, grated ( about 1/4 cup)
- Handful fresh chopped spinach
- Toasted sunflower and sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 gloves garlic
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes*
- 3-5 tablespoons olive oil
- Water as needed
- Prepare your favorite brown rice. The cooking time for the rice will give you plenty of time to get the rest of the salad ready
- Make the dressing – in a blender add the tahini, garlic, vinegar, tamari, yeast flakes and combine until blended. Add the oil in a steady stream and continue blending. Taste, and thin out with water as you like (I added a couple tablespoons
- Add the coconut oil to a skillet over medium heat and let melt, then add the tofu and let cook until brown and crispy on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Place the cooked rice in the bottom of your favorite big bowl, add the veggies, top with crispy tofu and seeds – then smother in as much dressing as you like