I’ve never really kept a diary. I’ve always wanted to, I’ve probably started 15 different ones since I was a little girl. But after the first few pages were scribbled on, they would sit collecting dust on my bedside table. I think I just liked the idea of journal writing, but could never quite make it a habit, sort of like finishing crossword puzzles or keeping my sock drawer tidy. Old habits die hard, and some of the best intentions never quite become habits, I guess.
Off to organize those socks.
Fruit & Yogurt Bowls with Quick Honey Pistachio Brittle
I called it a brittle for lack of a better word, its not a granola, not really a crumble, but a sweet and slightly sticky mixture of pistachios, coconut and honey – let’s stick with brittle. I used yogurt here, for those you might want a special treat for a breakfast, but using ice cream would make this a deliciously simple summer dessert. You’re choice.
- 1 cup of your favorite plain yogurt, or ice cream ( I used plain goat’s milk yogurt)
- 1 1/2 cup stone fruit ( I used cherries and apricots but peaches/plums would work well too)
- 1/3 cup shelled, unsalted pistachios
- 3 tablespoons shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- Place the shelled pistachios in the middle of a clean kitchen towel and wrap the rest of the towel around the nuts – rub the towel vigorously with your hands to remove as much of the skins as possible
- Cover a plate with parchment paper and set aside
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat, add pistachios and toast for 3-4 minutes, or until fragrant, shaking the pan often. Add in the shredded coconut and cook for about a minute or until brown, stirring constantly. Stir in the honey (it may bubble a bit) and cook for another 2 minutes until the mixtures starts to come together, stirring constantly. Transfers everything onto the prepared parchment paper and let cool.
- Divided the yogurt into two bowls, top with pitted, chopped fruit
- Break the brittle up into clusters and add to bowls (you might have some leftover)
- Drizzle everything with a little extra honey if you wish!